11 Dec Eggs – Nutrients | Benefits | Risks
This blog post is answer to our Ask Us Anything section.
Mihir asked “Can I have one egg a day? I am 73 kg. weight male with 33 years of age”.
The short answer is – Yes, you can eat one egg a day.
The detailed answer is –
The first question you should ask yourself is – Why I want to eat egg? From the question, it seems egg is not part of your regular diet.
Let’s get into more details about eggs.
Below is a list of nutrients in eggs:
- vitamin A
- vitamin B-2
- vitamin B-12
- vitamin B-5
- vitamin D
- vitamin E
- folic acid
- lutein and zeaxanthin
As you can see thelist is long and has mostly healthy contain.
- Eggs are pretty much the perfect food (look at the nutrients list above). They contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need.
- It is high in cholesterol but eating eggs does not adversely affect cholesterol for the majority of people.
- Eating eggs is a great way to increase HDL (the good cholesterol)
- Choline is used to build cell membranes and hasa role in producing signalling molecules in the brain.
- Egg yolks contain large amounts of both lutein and zeaxanthin, which have major benefits for eyes.
- Eggs are an excellent source of protein, with a single large egg containing six grams of it.
- Eggs helps in weight loss. Eggs score high on a scale called the satiety index, which measures the ability of foods to cause feelings of fullness and reduce later calorie intake.
- Eggs are a useful source of Vitamin D which helps to protect bones, preventing osteoporosis and rickets.
- Eggs should be avoided if their shells are cracked or if they are past expiration date.
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked eggs, bacteria can enter the egg through pores in the shells.
- People with genetic disorders like familial hypercholesterolemia or a gene variant called ApoE4 may want to limit or avoid eggs.
The bottom line
Studies clearly show that eating up to three whole eggs per day is perfectly safe.
As we say to our clients, it doesn’t matter what you eat?The more important question is – How, Why and When you eat? Depending on your goal, when you will get the best/all of nutrient from an egg can be determined. We can also help suggest how to cook your eggs for most health benefits.
Happy egg eating.